Hello there! As promised, here's some more details on how I made these primitive trees using Under the Tree Specialty DSP. I got 2 different sized foam cones at Wal-Mart. After much trial and error, I found the best way to adhere the paper was with Sticky Strip. The DSP is thicker than our regular DSP, so I had to gently conform it around the cones a bit to loosen it up a little. I got the paper in place and traced around the bottom of the cone onto the inside of the DSP with a pencil, and cut the excess paper off.
I then ran Sticky Strip around all the edges and adhered the paper to the cone. Next I stuck a skewer up through the center of the bottom of the cone. I had to use a hammer to get the skewer in as far as I needed. Next I stamped out Merry Christmas onto left over kraft cardstock that came with the Many Merry Stars Kit using Cherry Cobbler ink. I used the Simply Serif Mini Alphabet and used the Banner Punch to cut them out. I strung the sentiment on Cherry Cobbler Baker's Twine and attached to the tree using pearl stick pins that I colored with the darkest Night of Navy Blendability Marker earlier.
I needed something to cover the top of the cone that didn't get covered with DSP, and I remembered that I had some Mini Reeses Peanut Butter Cups left over from Halloween~remarkably! and the little wrappers worker perfectly:) I attached them with Liquid Tombow, and if you adhere them before you insert the skewer, they stick pretty good after they've been turned upside down and hammered on. Next, I ran some Crushed Curry Cardstock through the Big Shot using the Stars Framelits. I used the Eclectic Paper-piercing Pack & Tool, using the under side of the cardstock, which resembled punched tin. I used a sponge dauber in Chocolate Chip ink to age it a bit and added a thin piping of Liquid Tombow around the edges, leaving a little opening at the bottom and glued together. I then inserted a toothpick inside and stuck it to the top of the tree.
SU! doesn't currently have any ribbon that I liked for the trees so I had to use contraband~the horror! I again aged it with a dauber and Chocolate Chip ink. I tied a bow around the top and secured it with a couple of straight pins under the loops. Next I added a little bit of garland to the bottom of the trees using Baked Brown Sugar Thick Baker's Twine and a thin line of Liquid Tombow Glue. I found the cute little burlap bags at Hobby Lobby and cut the seam on the bottom as they wobbled. I found some florist clay~sorry, don't know the official name since it's on the wrapper inside the tree:( But it's green, feels like clay and is pretty heavy to work as a base. I cut the block of clay in half and rounded it a bit. I stuck the burlap bag over the top of the clay and then inserted the tree.
These were a little more finicky and time-consuming than I thought they'd be, but then again, I didn't start on them til the night before the event, so that might have been some of the problem. But I loved how they turned out and love how they work with the Many Merry Stars Kit. Thanks so much for stopping by and I'll see you back here tomorrow:)