Friday, July 12, 2013

2013 ARTISAN PROJECT #9:TRAMP ART SAMPLER

Hello there! Welcome to day 9 of the hop. You should have just come from Lauri's place. I'm hoping I get to meet some of these gals in Salt Lake City next week. It's been alot of fun working with them this past week.

Well I'm down to my last 2 projects. The 3-D's are my favorite. I always have ideas for them first. They are definitely the most time consuming, but I love 'em anyway!

I love the old samplers that young girls used to make back in the day. I guess I'm an old soul. I love anything that looks like it's been sitting in grandma's attic for years. I made the frame first a couple of months ago. I'm fascinated by the Tramp Art movement from the 1870's through the 1940's. The artists used discarded scraps and materials to make their works of art. I used the Tasteful Trim Die to mimic the carved wood and graduated the width of the strips. I used Cherry Cobbler Cardstock, the Woodgrain Background Stamp in Early Espresso, and painted the strips with Crystal Effects to make the frame look like painted wood. I sandwiched LOTS of Dimensionals in between the layers.

I used the set Hoop La La for the embroidery hoop, and used Lovely Letters and Simply Serif Alphabets. I also used In Stitches Jumbo Wheel. I took it off the roller and cut it apart to make it easier to use.

It took alot of measuring and configuring...and reconfiguring to get everything to fit just right. I started with a piece of So Saffron Cardstock and used Summer Starfruit on the Netting Background to stamp the background so it looked like a textile. I stamped each letter in Versamark, then in a designated stamp pad, used Clear Embossing Powder and embossed it. It was a tedious process. And unfortunately all the heat embossing un-embossed most of the letters-maybe that hurt this project. I'll never know, but I was happy with the end result, and it turned out pretty much just as I had imagined.

I wish I had a picture of it hanging, but I was lucky to get the pictures I did. Had it been left to me, there wouldn't be any, as I was working up until the last second. If by chance this is on display at Convention, I'll try to get a better picture of it.

I appreciate you stopping by. Next up is Kandi and I know she'll have something awesome for us today! Can't wait to see!

11.Patti McDermott http://craftingupthecoast.com/
 

15 comments:

  1. What a work of art...and I am sure they will display this at convention...the amount of work and detail is amazing!!!!! Hope you get to meet some of the other ladies next week and take pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lauri! I wish you were going so I could meet you in person-you're so encouraging. I'll continue to visit you and see what's on trend. I wish I could participate, but I've still got 200 wedding invitations to make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowie Kazowie! That is amazing! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, this is amazing. At first I thought you bought a frame, it looked so authentic. I can't believe you made the whole thing. You gave me an art history lesson today. Fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You NEVER seize to AMAZE me! LOVELOVELOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS! Have posted a link to this on our team page.Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy smokes, what an absolutely adorable idea - I used to make samplers when I was a kid - this looks WAY more fun to me now! Totally brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Once again my jaw is dropping! Your projects have been amazing, but I am utterly blown away by your 3D's!! Such a fabulous idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laura this is a work of art! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is very original! I'm a cross stitcher so I've seen those samples before! I like how you combined many different items to create this stitched sample. Love the frame as well - very clever! Definitely lots of hours into this project, for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is classic old-school stamping. Brings a tug of nostalgia to my heart for my early stamping days in the 90's. I love

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love so many of the little details.... the wood looks real, the stitching looks real, the embroidery hoop is so sweet, the colors are darling,

    ReplyDelete
  13. sorry, my ipad is making it funky to type and backspace? i love the alphabet focus. this whole thing is just so very precious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this! I saw it displayed at convention and got several pics of it. If u want the pics just email me st sakina716@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete